June 30, 2011

A Date with the Prime Minister (By YCM)



(Monday, 27th June 2011, Intercontinental Hotel KL)


My lack of interest in the Malaysian political arena, or in fact, any politically-infused matter had not stopped me from wanting to meet Malaysia's Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak.


Being above 21 and below 30, I knew I should grab this FREE chance to hear our PM's address to the "young corporate Malaysians" (as an ex-auditor, I believe I am eligible), and true enough, I was amazed by his eloquent speech and how honest and realistic his replies were to questions from the floor.


Apart from seeing our PM in person, me being me, I get excited and tend to focus more when he talked without a text, and with such clarity, proficiency in English, and perfect choice of words, that I am now a fan. Oh yes, I think I am a fan of PM Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak. Not to mention I got to capture a picture of him smiling at me (below) or maybe he was just a smiley guy, yes?



Ok, moving on from the smile. On a more serious note, key sensitive issues were highlighted by audiences, which included the evergreen issue of tax on imported cars, call for younger members of the parliament, ISA and AUKU, rising property prices and cost of living (inflation and in comparison with the UK), IPP contracts, and also the education industry (from teachers' incentive scheme, call for creativity and innovation-based subjects, and the need for existing vernacular schools). Loads of comparison with the UK because I think most of the YCM members graduated from the UK.


As for the PM, he provided insights on how the ETP came about, along with how the 6 NKEAs, 12 SRIs, and of course, the concept of 1Malaysia.


All I can say is WOAH. I was quite a listener though, apart from the ocassional distraction from Syafiq about his personal savings (Syafiq! sorry you know i love ya xoxo). I applaud the young corporate Malaysians for having the courage to ask these sensitive questions. I would have to enrol in Toastmasters Club first before I think I can ask these questions.


If any of you wonder what are some of the terms above, haha no worries, I had to google some of them also for more in-depth info.




Overall, this was my personal version of crash course of the Malaysian economy.

Read up!

No comments:

Followers